POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known Bugs 14 Jan 2002 : Re: Known Bugs 14 Jan 2002 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:32:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Known Bugs 14 Jan 2002
From: R  Suzuki
Date: 15 Jan 2002 10:35:39
Message: <3c444c4b@news.povray.org>
"Batronyx" wrote..
> I tried following all of the threads pertaining to this. I'm still confused
> and/or just not remembering everything correctly. For clarity, is 'evaluate'
> deprecated? (i.e. unnecessary from the user's perspective) Or, are there cases
> where it might still be useful but, as with some other features, one can --
and
> should -- expect it to be slower?

That is useful in some cases.  For example, try the following JRG's
code with "evaluate 1.2, 1.1, 0.98" instead of "evaluate 1, 10, 0.99".
http://news.povray.org/3bdf2d82%40news.povray.org
The rendering speed would be faster than the fixed max_gradient.

Those parameters of the recent beta work as designed.
The description of those parameters can be seen at
http://news.povray.org/3be10cf9@news.povray.org

The max_gradient of above scene is less than 2.
Thus, 10 is too big for the second parameter of 'evaluate' if the user
want to render it as fast as possible.

If the user does not now the max_gradient, 10 would be good
for the first step as described in POV-Help 6.5.4.1.

However, to determine the parameters, the user need to know the
max_gradient value.  But the current beta does not report the
max_gradient value if 'evaluate' is used... That is not consistent with
POV-Help.

R. Suzuki